Wednesday, December 12, 2007

My birthday gifts

Yesterday was my birthday and we had a small party at home. Priscilla brought her Nintendo Wii over and we had a lot of fun swinging the controllers.

The other day Sophie asked me what kind of cake I would like for my birthday, and I said carrot cake. Carrot cake turned out to be one of the most laborious cake to make. We needed to grate 2 cups of carrots and mix in 4 cups of flour to make the dough. It was really heavy. I can take the credit of doing the hardest part of mixing.

The gift. I received 3 gifts. Sophie bought a shirt for me from Abercombie, Vanessa and Jarad bought me a Christmas ornament of a scene from Star Wars: A New Hope - Luke and C3PO are in Ben Kenobi's shed where Kenobi is showing Luke Anakin's light saber. A few sound track from the scene is played when the button on the left is pressed. One of them is one of my favorite line: "It (light saber) is the weapon of choice in a more civilized age of the Old Republic." Another favorite line of mine is "I-am your Fa-ther!" Haha.. I told Vanessa to look for that next year.


The last gift, also the most amazing one, is Star Wars: A Pop-up Guide to the Galaxy. It is a book laying down the main characters and places and trivial of the Star Wars franchise, with amazingly well crafted paper pop-ups. As Amazon.com puts it, "Bestselling pop-up artist and engineer Matthew Reinhart has designed a thirtieth anniversary commemorative edition that comes packed with a variety of novelty features -- pop-ups, working light sabers, pull tabs... "

The best part is on the last page. Turn to this page and you see the head portrait of Darth Vader fold-up. If you half-open the page, you can see the real face of Anakin's wrinkled face underneath the mask. The surprise is the side laps. Each of them flap-open to Darth Vader and Luke charging with their light saber, and the light sabers actually glow! And you can even change the battery after it runs out!!


Thanks to Sylvine who happened to run into it at Borders.

No comments: