Wednesday, July 18, 2007

My Glass Works

Today we had the last glass crafting lesson. Time seemed to have flied for 8 whole weeks. We needed to finish the unfinished works we had been doing. The stained glass was one of them.

We made our own designs and then cut the stained glasses into appropriate sizes and shapes. Then we polished the edges and wrapped copper strips around the edges. We then wedged the pieces together using nickel. Then I stained the nickel lines with bronze coloration.

It seemed simple, but it took a lot of time to polish the edges and wedge the pieces together. We only had 4 colors to choose from, and I think I have made good use of them. This is my stained glass: A tree standing in the wind.


We were also provided with an Italian glass for etching. I wanted to etch some Chinese icons. I looked up the web today and found some nice ones. At last I decided to etch the word "福" in 篆書 at the bottom of the glass only, leaving the body untouched, just like a stamped icon. Our instructor suggested me to etch it real deep for the effect.



Sue etched her glass with lines of different thickness on the body and the bottom. Very retro in style.

No comments: