Friday, April 27, 2007

The Solemn Street Light

This is one of my favorite pictures that I have taken. Aug 9, 2006. I was visiting San Diego on my own. On the night I came back from Ocean Beach, I took a small street back to the hotel, and I came across this street light. I was strike by the mood of the scene - it was as solemn as I was. I grasped my camera and capture the mood.

To me, this little street light hooked on the wall is like a lonely guy trying to make a mark in the world by shooting its dim light onto the ground. But that is not easy. The light has to go through the rough wall before reaching the ground. The little fellow has to shoot so hard that some of its light leaks out from its back.

San Diego has a Gas Lamp District where all the street lamps are still burning gas. But those gas lamps are more like empty shells without a soul.

No comments: